Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday morning hurdles

Is wanting scream and pull your own hair out wrong? Mondays are always hectic and today was definetly no exception. Hurdle number one on a Monday morning is always getting the kids up. Maddy gets up easily so its operation wake up in the boy's room. I threaten to throw water on my eldest's head and he finally gets up after almost a half hour of prodding, pulling off blankets and threats. Justin however is not in the mood for getting up today. Last night he informed me that he was not going to school on Monday, so this Monday was particularly hard. He was wrapped up in his "shell", a shirt that he puts his entire body in. Almost like the comforting device that Temple Grandin made for herself. I tell Justin what I always do, "get up or I have to pull you out of bed." This usually works for Justin as he does not like being man handled, lifted or touched in the morning. So of the two options he usually picks to get up himself. However, I have to pull him out of his shell this morning as he decides that he doesn't care to chose the option of getting up. Hurdle number one completed...only a half hour.

Hurdle number two...breakfast. Sometimes this isn't a hurdle, in fact Justin had pop tarts and he loves pop tarts. The issue, however is getting Justin to stay in his seat and just eat. He likes to take a bite and leave his seat, roll around, walk to another room, lay down and then come back to the table. By this time Maddy was completely dressed and Alex was mosying over to the table to distract his brother. Both boys take ADHD meds, but at this point in the morning neither one had their meds yet. The meds are on the table waiting for the boys to take with their breakfast. Justin ate his pop tart and then climbed into his shell on the couch without even glancing at his pills. Usually Justin does quite well with his meds. This morning he was tired, cold and hyper. Alex took his pills remarkably well, which for him is odd. We had to coax Justin out of his "Shell" once again and offered him his favorite "smooth" sweat shirt to wear instead.

Hurdle number three was convincing the kids, mainly Justin, to be quiet. Jay is still sleeping at 6:30 so they are to get ready as quietly as they can. Today Maddy decided to sing in the bathroom while washing her face, but since she usually is the loudest in the morning, this was a minor offence. Justin however, was still in operation hyper mode and practically was yelling down the hall from his room to his brother in the kitchen. I finally sent him out and told Alex to help by gathering Justin's shoes and backpack from the room so he wouldn't have to go down the hall anymore. He was loud at the table and loud in the kitchen also. I felt so bad as I couldn't get his volume to turn down. To top it off he runs every where so he was running through the house at 7 a.m. An added noise maker this morning was Bruno, our albino Garfeild cat, who found Tiffany, my old cat and wanted to "play" with her. So Jay also heard hissing coming from the boy's closet (which shares a wall with our room).

Monday mornings are the worst days of all , but at least today I had Alex's help and a fairly well behaved Maddy. Also a bonus I only had three children today (instead of 5) so I didn't have to leave extra early to drive to two more schools. The extra 15 minutes was in my favor this morning. So despite wanting to scream at my children and having a few morning hurdles (some days there are more) I should thank God for Mondays like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment